The Commission of Government created the NFLD Ranger Force in the winter of 1935 to provide government services in isolated and northern parts of the country. Headquarters for the forces men were housed in temporary barracks in a tent in Whitbourne, which later became permanent HQ from 1936 to 1942.
During the 15 years of its existence, the force was an important link between the government and outport residents, who had no elected officials to represent their needs while the Commission was in power. The Force ended in 1949, at which point it was merged into the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). 209 men served as Rangers during its existence, though at any given time the force did not exceed 72 members.
Recruits had to be male, single, between the age of 19 (though men as young as 17 managed to join) to 28, have attained Grade 11, stand at least 5 feet 9 inches tall and weigh not more than 185 lbs.
Training in Whitbourne included paramilitary marching, battle drill and small arms practice, was administered by a Canadian sergeant major.
The uniform, similar to that of the RCMP, consisted of a khaki tunic and breeches with a brown stripe, fur caps as winter attire. The dress uniform was of blue serge and accompanied by swords and sometimes hickory batons for riot control.
The crest was of a caribou head inscribed with the motto ubique, meaning everywhere.